Wednesday 7 November 2012

Journal Assignment #1


Journal Entry #1  Social Media

Objective
Social media is transforming how we interact. We’ve gone from the phone (one to one) and t.v. (one to many), to the internet (many to many).  What matters in this transformation isn’t technical capital but social capital.  Our expressive capability is bigger than it’s ever been.  It has a huge impact on our society functions.
Reflective
I’ve observed that the i-phone has transformed my life in the past year.  My teenagers got cell phones, then my husband and much later, myself.  Now I’m as addicted and connected as my kids. I check stocks, play scrabble, text constantly and read the paper.  I upload photos and stay in touch with my family even though one is in Quesnel, one is in Victoria and one is in Switzerland and I’m in Kelowna!  It is indeed a transformational time.
Interpretive
Social media is changing the way we live.  It will affect our institutions, our democracy and our governments.  It may make the world fairer, but it could make it more chaotic.  What is most interesting is that social media is connecting us in powerful ways.  We can effect change through use of technology if enough people are of the same mindset.  The young people will not know that in the past, our opinions did not have so much weight.  Now, photos, chat groups, and spontaneous congregations on webpages have the power to strongly influence decision makers and outcomes. 
Decisional
It is important to participate in this revolution.  It’s critical to monitor the changes as parents, teachers and as citizens and think critically about implications involving safety, truth and change.  It’s an exciting time and the results could be dramatic.  We will only see the changes accelerate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment